Piping Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Article in Scotland on Sunday:-
A good article EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 3:57 am by true_blue_piper

» Dave Harron
A good article EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 1:02 pm by janelle

» We are not amused.....
A good article EmptyThu May 17, 2012 7:24 am by janelle

» Article in The Herald
A good article EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 3:37 am by true_blue_piper

» Bonking with Bagpipes, Rooting to Reels or Hornpipe Humping?
A good article EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 1:29 am by janelle

» Bloody cheek.....
A good article EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:00 am by Dai Robb

» Who's Birthday is it today?????
A good article EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 11:44 am by Dai Robb

» Thomas Grotrian (Pipefest)
A good article EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 4:18 am by janelle

» Edinburgh Compeition winners
A good article EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 1:17 am by true_blue_piper

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

A good article

3 posters

Go down

A good article Empty A good article

Post by true_blue_piper Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:14 am

true_blue_piper
true_blue_piper

Back to top Go down

A good article Empty Re: A good article

Post by janelle Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:12 am

Interesting article.
As a tenor drummer I always enjoy watching Shotts. I know they have their critics, but I was a little surprised the other day when someone described them (paraphrase) as a fall of grace into a novelty act, and included their choice of music as part of the demise. I don't know the first thing about music choice for competition but it seemed the comment was a little harsh.
I found the bit about the popularity of piping in Scotland interesting. Lots of people here in Aus seem to think you'll find a piper on every corner in Scotland. Yet Scots living here, for as little as 5 years, say that they've seen more bands here at every day events than they ever saw back home. In Scotland you have to go looking for them, or go to a competition.
janelle
janelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:11 pm

I enjoyed that article thanks Ron, mainly because for me *back in the good old days* Shotts were the pinnacle of a Piper or drummers dream, to play for them(okay I was young and easily led) but I can remember especially at Cowal, being a local lad growing up with the Cowal games the highlight of the year, that would ineviatbly end up with Shotts being champions.
I always wore the kilt right up to starting Senior School, and can remember being teased continuously by class mates, who although Scottish thought it Sissy to wear it, the only time you say anyone wearing the kilt was at weddings, or Cowal weekend, when all the so called "traditionaists" appeared to show their support, the local kilt hire shop made their money that weekend.
It is even more of a spectacle these days I should imagine, which i find rather sad, I am fiercely proud of my Scottish roots, I love wearing my kilt and wish that i got about more so i could wear it oftener, so like the disappearing peipers on street corners? so it must be for the kilt wearers
Dai Robb
Dai Robb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down