Piping Connections
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Article in Scotland on Sunday:-
Here we go again.... - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 3:57 am by true_blue_piper

» Dave Harron
Here we go again.... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 1:02 pm by janelle

» We are not amused.....
Here we go again.... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 7:24 am by janelle

» Article in The Herald
Here we go again.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 3:37 am by true_blue_piper

» Bonking with Bagpipes, Rooting to Reels or Hornpipe Humping?
Here we go again.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 1:29 am by janelle

» Bloody cheek.....
Here we go again.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:00 am by Dai Robb

» Who's Birthday is it today?????
Here we go again.... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 11:44 am by Dai Robb

» Thomas Grotrian (Pipefest)
Here we go again.... - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 4:18 am by janelle

» Edinburgh Compeition winners
Here we go again.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 1:17 am by true_blue_piper

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Here we go again....

+8
Gordy88
stormy
wee_fee-fee
janelle
Robbie.Crow
Dai Robb
drummer dave
true_blue_piper
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Here we go again.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Here we go again....

Post by drummer dave Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:31 pm

in my opinion theres nothing wrong with saying what you want its called a freedom of speach
drummer dave
drummer dave

Back to top Go down

Post by true_blue_piper Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:24 pm

drummer dave wrote:what did you guys get banned for?

I got banned for referring to certain Irish-Americans and Irish-American wannabies as 'plastic paddies' and for criticising one of the moderators for refusing to allow a discussion about the MacCrimmons (whether protestants or catholics) and yet the very same moderator permitted a thread entitled 'who has played for the pope".

People such as Dave Gallagher who had links to memorials to Bobby Sands et. al. (you're dead you b*stard...thank feck !) are apparently allowed to do what they want but anyone who disagrees with the filthy fenian feckers, gets shafted.

You can talk about St. Patty's day (Patty's....a typical Irish Wannabe expression) but you're buggered if you even try and mention 12th July......

In my own opinion, nothing more than that......BDF doesn't like criticism about anything to do with North American members, but will castigate anyone else for even attempting to criticize......North American stuff!

Funny thing is, I am probably one of the mot pro-American people there is....and yet I get shafted for telling the truth as I see it.

Thankfully there are now at least a couple of honorable, decent moderators.
true_blue_piper
true_blue_piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie.Crow Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:49 pm

I've been banned a few times. Cant remember why I was banned the first time. Second time it was for asking about moderation. third time it was just coz they found out it was me. Fourth time? There hasn't been a fourth time as yet...

There are 2 good moderators on there who actually listen to me and know i've grown up a bit.. same about the rest of them!

Robbie.Crow
Admin

http://www.robbiecrow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wee_fee-fee Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:12 pm

The thing with a forum is the moderators / admin can interpret what you say however they want to. BDF members are subject to the terms and conditions that the moderators / admin lay down. Free speech does not exist except by their permission (is it really free then?) but that's the golden rule, "He with the gold rules!" Ron probably got on their back so it was bye bye to him.

I understand that every forum does have individuals who are young, are offended by bad language, ethnic/racial slurs, etc., but I know on this forum it is basically self-policing and it works itself out without interference by anyone. That’s down to all you guys.

I'm a pretty big free speech fanatic. Opinions and information are all good. The last thing we really want to ever do as moderators / admin on here is to edit or delete a post and you guys never give us a reason to. You all do a very good job. We as moderators must not only think of ourselves but the entire members list we have. My goal on this board is to the best of my ability try to limit certain inappropriate things happening with the whole lot of you in mind. I see this as happening rarely I hope. Free speech is extremely important.

What we need to guard against is that sometimes if users see others getting attacked for putting a question or idea out there they might be hesitant to ask their question for fear of attack. This is not the environment anybody wants. This forum is for pipe band fanatics and beginners out there and since it is the users that make the site what it is, you have all done a great job working together to keep it an informative and friendly place.

Group hug everyone… Haha Here we go again.... - Page 2 238269

As for BDF Here we go again.... - Page 2 20460 Here we go again.... - Page 2 925499
wee_fee-fee
wee_fee-fee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Blimey?? where did that come from?
Here we go again.... - Page 2 Spying seriously very well put Fiona, as you know I am Admin on a number of forums, and it is hard work at times, I can honestly say since I have been Admin on here, I have never had to use the tools available? Which as Fiona says is testament to the members on here
Dai Robb
Dai Robb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie.Crow Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:58 pm

Right now there are four 'big' piping forums. BDF, PBF, The PUB and here - and they all do very different things!

BDF is more for the "serious" pipe band fanatics who want to talk piping non-stop all day every day without a break or a laugh. If you want to talk about anything other than piping/drumming? Forget it!

PBF is the second largest but is in direct contrast to BDF. PBF is a more 'relaxed' environment where you can talk about non-piping related stuff if you want too. Granted, the rules are still in place - but they're note quite as strict!

The PUB is there to be a "no rules, anything goes" forum where anyone can talk about anyone or anything and get away with it. They have a "no ban" policy, but they have banned at least one person; this shows that rules are needed some times.

PCF (here) is for a select circle of people who want to join up for the banter while talking about pipe bands. I can safely say that we are one of the only forums where 75%+ of the people actually know and see each other a lot. this is truely a forum for friends, and because of that we know how to act without too many rules!

All of the forums have their own needs, but fee is right - Free Speach is paramount to any societies, or forums, existance! If we don't have free speach; what do we have?

Robbie.Crow
Admin

http://www.robbiecrow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stormy Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:08 pm

Robbie.Crow wrote:BDF is more for the "serious" pipe band fanatics....

Robbie you cannot be serious man!!!!! There is a thread at the moment "How do you march in Spanish?"
You call that "serious" piping??? The place is a joke and you can only say what they will allow you to say.
I got banned for giving my honest and truthful opinion - Americans don't seem to like that and certainly do not like to be criticised.

Dai Robb wrote:I just tried to register, got a message saying NOT RECOGNISED, please contact Admin?? yea as if??

Go to hotmail and get any e-mail addy you like.
Register as a member.
Never use the e-maill addy again.
Stormy is still a member but cannot use his real mane, they won't allow me. Barred for life. I'm really worried about that - lol!
stormy
stormy

http://www.stormpipes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by true_blue_piper Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:46 am

Should I wear a peahen feather or the tail feather from an albatross whilst wearing my sky blue, Bonnie Prince Charlie Re-enactment Association, Kilmarnock bonnet?

Which would go better with my great-grandfather's caubeen?

If I wear a 'glen' instead but with three blue tit feathers, will this have any effect on the sound of my vintage 2009 drones made from Idaho Greenwood drones and mounted in hardened denim and hand-engraved lead in a the Big One Red regimental pattern?

Can any of you experts please also advise whether Bonnie Prince Charlie wore the regular Culloden or the Dress Culloden tartan?

Now that's......BDF!
true_blue_piper
true_blue_piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:52 am

stormy wrote:

Dai Robb wrote:I just tried to register, got a message saying NOT RECOGNISED, please contact Admin?? yea as if??

Go to hotmail and get any e-mail addy you like.
Register as a member.
Never use the e-maill addy again.

Thanks for that Stormy? hope you wont be offended if I dont bother though? if I want a load of C**p? I take the dugs for a walk ?, they never fail to leave a deposit? Here we go again.... - Page 2 Lol Like you mate, the fact that I have not been onto BDF for some 4 years? doesnt cause me sleepless nights, and as for the other? well least said the better.
Dai Robb
Dai Robb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy88 Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_eek [quote="stormy"]
Robbie.Crow wrote:BDF is more for the "serious" pipe band fanatics....

Robbie you cannot be serious man!!!!! There is a thread at the moment "How do you march in Spanish?"
You call that "serious" piping??? The place is a joke and you can only say what they will allow you to say.
I got banned for giving my honest and truthful opinion - Americans don't seem to like that and certainly do not like to be criticised.

Rarely a truer word spoken, free speech is important, but not allowed in the US, in theory it is, in reality not, look up 'dont tazer me bro' on utube and you'll get the idea

Look on the bright side, at least they havent invaded here yet Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Gordy88
Gordy88

http://www.professionalpiperhire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieMc Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 am

Gordy88 wrote:Rarely a truer word spoken, free speech is important, but not allowed in the US, in theory it is, in reality not, look up 'dont tazer me bro' on utube and you'll get the idea

Look on the bright side, at least they havent invaded here yet Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Americans? Umm... there are a few of us here. Here we go again.... - Page 2 245424 But I try to stay out of y'all's conversations about us. Here we go again.... - Page 2 96708
KatieMc
KatieMc
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:19 am

Yea but there are Americans? THEN there are the likes of Katie, Dennis etc?, you are the exception to the rule?
Here we go again.... - Page 2 Victory
Here we go again.... - Page 2 Gentleman
Dai Robb
Dai Robb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by true_blue_piper Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:24 am

Robbie.Crow wrote:Right now there are four 'big' piping forums. BDF, PBF, The PUB and here - and they all do very different things!

BDF is more for the "serious" pipe band fanatics who want to talk piping non-stop all day every day without a break or a laugh. If you want to talk about anything other than piping/drumming? Forget it!

PBF is the second largest but is in direct contrast to BDF. PBF is a more 'relaxed' environment where you can talk about non-piping related stuff if you want too. Granted, the rules are still in place - but they're note quite as strict!

The PUB is there to be a "no rules, anything goes" forum where anyone can talk about anyone or anything and get away with it. They have a "no ban" policy, but they have banned at least one person; this shows that rules are needed some times.

PCF (here) is for a select circle of people who want to join up for the banter while talking about pipe bands. I can safely say that we are one of the only forums where 75%+ of the people actually know and see each other a lot. this is truely a forum for friends, and because of that we know how to act without too many rules!

All of the forums have their own needs, but fee is right - Free Speach is paramount to any societies, or forums, existance! If we don't have free speach; what do we have?

You forgot to mention the Delphi Pipe Band World Slagfest!
true_blue_piper
true_blue_piper

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy88 Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:03 pm

KatieMc wrote:
Gordy88 wrote:Rarely a truer word spoken, free speech is important, but not allowed in the US, in theory it is, in reality not, look up 'dont tazer me bro' on utube and you'll get the idea

Americans? Umm... there are a few of us here. Here we go again.... - Page 2 245424 But I try to stay out of y'all's conversations about us. Here we go again.... - Page 2 96708

I should have mentioned that Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

We have been very lucky, in that the Americans we have here are a credit to their country, not the more generalised type to which this thread applies.

I would like to see more on here, but, maybe thats the problem, this place is too sensible.

We have an American in the band, and whilst he is a decent guy, one who's internet rep preceeds him, his attitude, whilst not a bad one, is far removed from the UK pipers attitude, and that can certainly cause, if not friction, some bewilderment.

A cattle prod is a tool that every PM should have in his box Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Gordy88
Gordy88

Back to top Go down

Post by wee_fee-fee Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:51 pm

I think every country has their stereotypes... you shouldn't judge a whole group of people by the experiences you have with just a few of them.

The way your portray other nationalities really depends on the culture you are from. If you have been brought up in a place that is perceived as being “over-polite” then you probably think everyone else is being rude and vice-versa. Take the Germans for instance the probably think nothing of it going down to the side of the pool at 6.00am to leave their towels on all the sun beds. Grrrrr that gets right up my nose haha.

My take - people are people. They behave as their culture demands so crossing cultures always causes a few hiccups. We tend to expect Americans to react to things in the same way we would. The US has quite an old-fashioned and sometimes religious/prudish set of standards which can surprise us Europeans. But once you get to know someone they're just the same underneath. I like Americans. Actually I like people from most cultures but the trick is to get to know them.

What it means to be British.

You leave your office which is owned by an American company.
You drive home in your German car filled with Kuwaiti fuel
You stop for a pint of Belgian beer in an Irish pub, then pick up an Indian meal to take home.
You check your email on a Chinese computer and download a Russian program from a site in Poland
You sit on your Italian sofa and watch Spanish football on your Japanese TV while eating Israeli oranges.
You put on your French pyjamas and slip into your Egyptian cotton sheets to dream about - how great it is to be British!

Seriously, there are many polite and friendly Americans. There are many polite and friendly Canadians. There are many polite and friendly XXXians. BUT... I've dealt with some real A-holes but you get them all over.

wee_fee-fee
wee_fee-fee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai Robb Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:03 pm

Very good post fiona, and so very true, I have always tried to accept people at face value, am not interested in what others say about them, as Robbie Burns would say,

"Tae see oorselves, as ithers see us?

Do unto others, as you would yourself.
Dai Robb
Dai Robb
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieMc Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Fiona, that was indeed a great post. Thank you! I had to laugh though, about your "What it means to be British".... an American friend sent that exact thing to me just a couple of weeks ago, only it was called "What it means to be American" ! Here we go again.... - Page 2 925499

And Gordy, as for wishing there were more "sensible" Americans here.... I don't want to start anything, but there have been Americans come on this forum, very nice and sensible people, who were hurt and offended by some posts about Americans, so they quietly drifted away. I admit there have been times I almost did the same thing. But there are people on here that I know and love dearly, who prove to me on a regular basis that not all Scots hate Americans. And I am gradually learning that the ones who do hate Americans probably don't hate me. Here we go again.... - Page 2 Herz
KatieMc
KatieMc
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy88 Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:21 pm

KatieMc wrote:Fiona, that was indeed a great post. Thank you! I had to laugh though, about your "What it means to be British".... an American friend sent that exact thing to me just a couple of weeks ago, only it was called "What it means to be American" ! Here we go again.... - Page 2 925499

And Gordy, as for wishing there were more "sensible" Americans here.... I don't want to start anything, but there have been Americans come on this forum, very nice and sensible people, who were hurt and offended by some posts about Americans, so they quietly drifted away. I admit there have been times I almost did the same thing. But there are people on here that I know and love dearly, who prove to me on a regular basis that not all Scots hate Americans. And I am gradually learning that the ones who do hate Americans probably don't hate me. Here we go again.... - Page 2 Herz

I can agree fully Katie,

As in many other areas a few 'bad apples' spoils the barrel, and peoples perception of the barrel.

Case in point, a local Policeman is caught doing something/anything illegal or immoral, that reflects on all policemen, not right, not fair, but true.

Same with politicians, we have had a lot of press about politicians fiddling their expenses, not realising they had paid their mortgage off, etc, and still claiming for it, Aye right, I always forget when i pay off a mortgage,

What it has done is tar any decent politicians with that same brush, assuming that is that there ARE any.

As for 'hating' Americans, certainly not here imo, Scots, Irish, Ulster Scots etc, usually get on fine,

As for the English.................. Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_twisted Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_twisted Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_twisted Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_twisted

@ Fiona, 'French Pyjamas'?? speak for yourself!! Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Gordy88
Gordy88

Back to top Go down

Post by wee_fee-fee Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:50 pm

*pictures Gordy in a pair of French pyjamas* Ooh la la Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_redface you have me all flustered Here we go again.... - Page 2 Icon_razz Here we go again.... - Page 2 Lol

No Gordy it's ok... we know you just pyjamas round your pint to claim it's yours. *gets her tenor drum* Boom Boom Here we go again.... - Page 2 946975
wee_fee-fee
wee_fee-fee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wee_fee-fee Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Hey Katie,

Don't you think of departing us... yer our in house maid Here we go again.... - Page 2 805360 Here we go again.... - Page 2 588341 Here we go again.... - Page 2 746517 Here we go again.... - Page 2 304435

WE ALL LOVE YOU!!!! xxx
wee_fee-fee
wee_fee-fee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stormy Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:01 pm

My use of the word "Americans" was a generality covering BDF which I see as an American site. No offence to any Americans here, especially those who get lost in a beer tent!!!!!
Here we go again.... - Page 2 304435 Redneck\\'s Tipple
lol!
stormy
stormy

http://www.stormpipes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by true_blue_piper Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:19 am

wow.....I'm feeling the warmth. Sounds like some sort of group huggie.....can I join in?

Are French pyjamas mandatory?
Or are we doing this 'au natural'?

Can I opt for the huggie thing with just the females?

Here we go again.... - Page 2 946975
true_blue_piper
true_blue_piper

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieMc Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:47 am

stormy wrote:My use of the word "Americans" was a generality covering BDF which I see as an American site. No offence to any Americans here, especially those who get lost in a beer tent!!!!!
Here we go again.... - Page 2 304435 Redneck\\'s Tipple
lol!

Oh Stormy!! Bless your heart, I will never forget the moment I saw your familiar face in that gigantic beer tent!! I was so relieved I nearly cried. But I think it's actually my second-favourite "Stormy Moment"... the first being the day I met you, when you nearly crashed a glass display whilst trying to boot Robbie!! Here we go again.... - Page 2 925499Here we go again.... - Page 2 925499Here we go again.... - Page 2 925499
KatieMc
KatieMc
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KatieMc Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:49 am

wee_fee-fee wrote:Hey Katie,

Don't you think of departing us... yer our in house maid Here we go again.... - Page 2 805360 Here we go again.... - Page 2 588341 Here we go again.... - Page 2 746517 Here we go again.... - Page 2 304435

WE ALL LOVE YOU!!!! xxx

Ah well.... I gotta be loved for some reason, and if being your housemaid is what it takes... I'M THERE!! Here we go again.... - Page 2 88412
KatieMc
KatieMc
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wee_fee-fee Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:34 am

Just for you Ron Here we go again.... - Page 2 Bighug1

New verse for the singing kettle song...

I think I know a man, I think his name is Ron
I think he goes to bed at night with French pyjamas on
French pyjamas on, French pyjamas on,
how can he sleep at night with French pyjamas on!

wee_fee-fee
wee_fee-fee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum